Thursday 5 January 2012

Run, run, as fast as you can.

A year ago I couldn't run the length of my street, but I always wanted to be able to run.

At the start of the year last January, I heard about a podcast programme called "Couch to 5k", put together by the NHS in the UK, which was basically to get people off the sofa and out on the street running.

Because, and only because, of that podcast, I would class myself as becoming a runner today. It got me out of the house and out on the paths of North County Dublin by being manageable and taking it slowly at the start while building up to running for decent amounts of time, chunks that I never saw myself being able to do before starting.

It's gotten me to the place where I'm undertaking 1000 miles for charity this year, and also considering the marathon in May in Belfast.

So today I'm thankful for the "Couch to 5k" programme, and how it got me out of bad habits and into better health, and to a place where I actually enjoy it....and that's a big change, believe me!

(Check it out. I can't recommend it highly enough.)

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment