Friday 30 December 2011

A Tonne of Running

This coming year I'm going to be undertaking something a little ambitious. My friend Jonny Farrell (one who has proved himself up for a challenge many times over...he's just coming to the end of a year of drinking only water, nothing else, to raise money for clean water in Africa) has upped the bar for this year and has come up with "The Tonne Run". He's getting people motivated to each run at least 1,000 miles over the course of the next year in aid of children's projects in Ethiopia.

The idea is that there are many children in Ethiopia for whom 1,000 miles a year is the norm, many who travel that distance and more just to provide water (which is often not even clean) for their families.

If this is the reality of life for so many children in the world we live in, then surely we can do our bit.

So 1,000 miles is the goal (and also the width of Ethiopia itself), £1,000 is the fundraising target, and December 31st next year is D-Day.

I'm thankful for legs that are able to run and health that keeps me upright, and for clean water from multiple taps in my house that I take so for granted. Thankfulness is great, but it shouldn't just be words, it should spark action. I'm thankful for what I have, and because I have, it means that some may not. This year, I'm thinking particularly about water, and will be running my legs off to try and do something about it.

Stick around to find out how I'm doing and if you feel so inclined to find out how you can donate to this excellent cause. And if you fancy taking part (come on....!) you can learn a bit more about it and sign up at this link.

https://www.standby.me/news/fundraising/start-the-new-year-with-a-tonne-run

No comments:

Post a Comment